Getting Married in MA

Getting Married in MA


You do not have to be a state resident to get married in Massachusetts, but you must obtain a valid marriage license issued by a Massachusetts city or town clerk. An out-of-state marriage license cannot be used. There is a 3 day waiting period before the license can be used and it is only good for 60 days. Below is a list of town clerks offices on Martha's Vineyard:

The Town Halls of Martha's Vineyard's six towns:

Town Clerk, Town of Edgartown P.O. Box 35, Edgartown MA 02539 (508) 627-6110

Town Clerk, Town of Oak Bluffs P.O. Box 2490, Oak Bluffs MA 02557 (508) 693-5515

Town Clerk, Town of Tisbury P.O. Box 606, Vineyard Haven MA 02568 (508) 696-4215

Town Clerk, Town of West Tisbury P.O. Box 278, West Tisbury MA 02575 (508) 696-0148

Town Clerk, Town of Chilmark Beetlebung Corner, Chilmark MA 02535 (508) 645-2107

Town Clerk, Town of Aquinnah 65 State Road, Aquinnah, MA 02535 (508) 645-2300


What You Need

Both partners in a marriage must go together, in person, to any city or town clerk to fill out a marriage license application (also known as a Notice of Intention of Marriage). Each person must bring proof of their age (a certified birth certificate, passport or other document as defined by MGL Chapter 207, Section 33A) and their Social Security number.

Once an application has been accepted, there is a three (3) day waiting period before you receive your marriage license. The license is then only valid for 60 days from the date the application was filed. In certain circumstances, one can seek to have the waiting period waived by filing a request for a Marriage without Delay with the probate court or district court in the city or town, or county where you originally applied for the license. If you are not married within the 60 days after your license was granted, you must apply for a new license.

Who Can Marry You

There are four primary groups of people that can legally solemnize a marriage in Massachusetts:

After the wedding ceremony is complete, whomever you chose to perform the ceremony must sign and return your marriage license to the city or town clerk where it was issued so it can be legally recorded. If you need a copy of your marriage certificate, you can get one from the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics.